Have a Google Apps account that you want to use as your default mail client in the Firefox web browser? Here are the instructions:
- In the Firefox address bar, type about:config and press Enter. Click to indicate that you want to proceed.
- In the filter box, type gecko. to show fewer config items.
- Look for an item called gecko.handlerService.AllowRegisterFromDifferentHost and double-click on it to change the value from false to true.
- Copy the following code into the address bar and press Enter:
"https://mail.google.com/mail/a/yourdomain.com?extsrc=mailto&url=%s","Google Apps Mail")
NOTE: change yourdomain.com to the actual text of your domain (mine is schellack.net, so I put that there, even with the period).
- On the prompt asking whether or not you want to add the mailto handler, click OK.
- Open up Firefox’s Options (Tools >> Options on a PC or Firefox >> Preferences on a Mac). Go to the Applications tab.
- Scroll down until you see a Content Type of mailto, and change its action to Google Apps Mail.
Once you’ve followed those steps, clicking on an email link (with the prefix mailto:) will create a new email in your Google Apps Mail account!